Name:
Location: San Jose, California, United States

Raymond Miller solves usability problems for a living. From UI text and error messages to flows and stories, he protects the user experience for Symantec’s retail SSL certificate consumers. Raymond lives in San Jose, CA. When not staggering through half marathons, he writes crime fiction.

Wednesday

Marvel vs. DC: Marvel did it to me again.

DC created Crisis on Infinite Earths as a means of aligning their confusing histories into one timeline. It is arguably one of the best comic book series even written. It ushered in a permanent changes to the DC universe including killing off characters who have never come back (though some characters have).

Even though we are fans, we have to realize this is a business. Marvel had to do something or lose a lot of sales. So Marvel created: Secret Wars! At the time, I thought the Secret Wars was the best thing ever. It was the ultimate team up with everybody except Daredevil and a few reserve Avengers. I have since learned better.

Crisis had layers upon layers of history and deep meaning to the generations of readers and creators. I do not want to bash Marvel unfairly. Secret Wars is a good series one its own. It just doesn't compare to Crisis.

Here we are in the next century and somethings never change. Fall of the Muta...I mean, House of M was a good read. Solid characterization, art, and dialogue, but it doesn't compare to Infinity Crisis.

This is my official apology my readers. I really thought House of M compared better to Infinity Crisis. What threw me off was DC's shameless tie-ins to no less than three pre-series series including Identity Crisis. Then I realized that even though they were after my money, they were giving me a complete story that for the most part interlinked well.

My advice: Pick up Identity Crisis and Infinity Crisis as soon as possible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< home